Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The True Spirit of Christmas....
















Sometimes I'd like to ask God why he allows poverty, famine and injustice when he could do
something about it...... I 'm afraid God might ask me the same question."
San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation...San Carlos Reservation is one of the poorest Native American communities in the United States, with the median annual household income being approximately $14,000. About 60% of the people live under the poverty line,, and one-fourth of the active labor force is unemployed. The population is about 12,000. So many people , so many families and so many children without a Christmas gift. Our church did something ...along with me, Gabi , my father, my friend Brenda, her daughter and Gabi's friend Izzy and our friend Boyd, and many awesome volunteers ended up taking 14 vehicles plus the St. Vincent truck and two additional vehicles delivering Christmas gifts , household items , toys, food , bikes, clothes, furniture, shoes...that will be givien to the most in need. Our very giving parish members also gave enough to give many gift certs for food and money to repair and buy things they are in desperate need of. It was the most memorable and amazing trip. We all worked very hard unloading the vehicles. After we unloaded the vehicles (Gabi and Izzy both 6 years old , helped unload. We are very proud of them) Father Geno and Sister Georgia ( big thank you hugs to both of them for everything they do) took us to see the beautiful church and after Father Geno gave us a little history, the kindergarten class came and sang about 6 Christmas songs..the children were precious... After they sang Brenda gave them bags of magical reindeer food .. that helps make all your wishes come true...and before they left i just wated to give them all a Christmas hug and to let them know we care.. it was a moment i will never forget..many of them lined up just to get a hug...It was an experience ..... one that will help all of us enjoy the "true meaning"of Christmas......... the gift of giving and making a difference.

6 comments:

Tonya Brown said...

Hi,

I wanted to invite you to join our Phoenix GuateTot play group. We have about 10 families so far. We just started a yahoo group where we can post all the fun events happening in Phoenix. There are 3 of us that get together just about every weekend and others that join when they can. We just had a xmas party for the kids and had all Guatemala foods etc. If you are interested, please PM at tanib_3 at yahoo.

Hope to meet you soon!

Tonya

Anonymous said...

Yes Doreen, I agree with you.
We really experience the true spirit of Christmas only when we open our hearts to the needs of others, especially those who don't have anything. God bless you for helping these people and our Guatemalan people. I am so proud of you! I love that you are taking Gabby so she can follow your example. Abrazos,
Espe

Doreen said...

Hi Tonya , I would love to join your Guate tot play group. thanks for visitng my blog and iviting me to your group.. doreen

Doreen said...

Thanks Espe... there is no greater joy for me than to help those who really need it.. and i want my girls to have the same compassion, so i will take them with me when ever i can. doreen

Amy said...

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome Doreen! I love your heart and love that your truly get what it's all about!!! You are amazing and I am so proud to call you my friend! Amy

Doreen said...

Thanks so much Amy for your thoughtful words... your my inspiration too:o)and an awesome friend!! doreen