Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Smiles in Gautemala...




The best thing about giving a gift for a child is knowing that someone loves them enough to give them a gift.....this is a part of the letter sent to me from my friend Rosa in Guatemala describing how Silvia's ( a mother of 10 in Guatemala): " Dear Doreen, I don’t want to leave this opportunity without saying thanks so much for all you do for the Guatemalan children. I am so happy to be part of this team to be able to help them. We have received the box last night and I will be happy to give the things to the different families. The same night I called Silvia to let her know that I have some things for her children on your name. She came the next morning and she told me that the children couldn’t sleep because they were very excited of receiving the gifts the next morning. Silvia says thanks so much for giving her children things that they cannot give them at this moment. Silvia is a woman of faith...." I have never met Silvia and her children , but i feel so much love for them and feel much sadness for their very poor situation that i help them when ever i get the opportunity. It is so important to focus on ways to help others who are less fortunate, specially during holidays. Children love the suprise of getting a gift and it melted my heart when she said "the children could not sleep all night because of their excitement of getting a gift...." I have reminded my girls many times this holiday that Christmas is just not about a season of receiving, it is also a time of giving... and before that box got sent to Guatemala Gabi , Bella, Teya and Neyvada all put some of their things in that box....I am so thrilled that Silvia and her children (and many others) had a Merry Christmas and smiles all night long because they know someone here loves them very much.....

1 comment:

Amy said...

AWESOME! Ripped my heart out of my chest just picturing them not being able to sleep they were so excited! What a blessing you are to so many Doreen. I love that you truly, truly 'get it'. Thanks for being just the way you are. LOVE YOU!!! Amy